We understand how difficult it can be to find the right computer to conduct 3D printing. After all, you need to consider the specs, is the computer you have now powerful enough to make 3D models to print?
But you also need to consider how much you want to use a 3D printer. If you want to print small-scale models, you won’t need anything too powerful, but larger projects require more manpower.
That’s why we’ve included everything you need to know about purchasing the right computer for when you embark on your 3D printing journey.
We’ll look at the recommended computers that can handle the software needed for 3D printing.
Specs You Need For 3D Printing
We’ve got some good news for those new to 3D printing. When you start out, you won’t need a particularly powerful computer. In fact, all you should need is:
- A minimum of 8 GB of RAM
- A 4 Cores i5 Intel or Ryzen comparable processor
- A minimum of 512 GB of hard drive storage space
While specific specs are needed for any 3D printer you would purchase, these specs are typically what you should aim to have when running a slicer.
When starting out, however, you won’t require a graphics card, as when printing, the slicer will print a reduced number of objects at once, with none of them having textures.
We’re going to assume that if you’re reading this article, then you’re looking for a budget-friendly beginner option. However, if you do want to find an advanced PC for CAD modeling, you will need:
- A minimum of 16 GB of RAM
- A 6-core i7 Intel or Ryzen comparable processor
- At least 1 TB of storage space on your Hard Drive
- An NVIDIA 1650 ti or AMD Radeon 5500 XT graphics card
If you want to model your own 3D sculptures as well, these would be the ideal specifications above. Using these, you will be able to find yourself able to print your designs for years to come comfortably.
The MSI GL65 laptop is a budget-friendly gaming laptop that would suit the needs of anyone beginning their journey into 3D printing.
It has four i5 Intel core processors, which are powerful enough to handle both games and content creation. It utilizes cooler boost technology, with two fans and six heat pipes to improve the airflow.
While the fans are loud, it is expected from a more budget-friendly yet sleek design.
Despite this, it has 16 GB RAM, which offers plenty of memory to do any 3D printing, and you can save plenty of your work with the 512 GB hard drive storage.
It’s surprising to see the lightweight design. However, there have been some sacrifices to make it this lightweight, so the battery life isn’t great, and the speakers don’t provide high-resolution audio.
- Budget Friendly — The MSI GL65 has been designed as a budget-friendly gaming laptop.
- Lightweight — It is both lightweight and thin, so you can easily transport it to other places if you have your 3D printer elsewhere.
- Cooling Functions — Two fans and six heat pipes are used to improve the laptop’s airflow.
- High Performance — The MSI GL65 is capable of handling games and 3D rendering, ensuring it’s powerful enough to handle 3D printing.
- Speakers — The audio quality is not high quality, with the speakers not producing a tinny sound when used.
- Battery Life — Due to its lightweight design, it doesn’t have a long battery life.
- Fans — While the fans do work, they can be loud when they’re in use.
The LG Gram 17 has been specifically designed for content creation, with four i7 Intel Core processors that ensure a high level of performance.
It has been specially designed for creation, with 16 GB of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive to ensure you can work on your projects with high resolution.
The storage it has is dependable, so you don’t have to worry about not being able to access your projects.
It’s specifically been designed for memory-intensive content creation and has been designed for collaboration, so it is both compact and lightweight.
However, the battery life isn’t as long due to its compact design. Due to being created with editing in mind, the speakers are weaker than the display, so it is better to use headphones instead for any sound editing.
- Storage — With a 1 TB hard drive, you can have plenty of storage space to work and save on your projects.
- Lightweight — The LG Gram 17 is lightweight and compact, so you can easily travel around with it, making it easier to collaborate.
- High Performance — The LG Gram promises high performance due to having four i7 processors.
- Better for Content Creation — While other computers are more suitable for gaming, this laptop has been designed for creating and working on projects.
- Battery Life — The battery is not long-lasting. This is most likely due to the compact design.
- Speakers — If you want to listen to any audio on the computer, we recommend using headphones, as the speakers are one of the weaker aspects of this design.
The OMEN HP Obelisk is a desktop with six Intel Core i5 processors, giving it plenty of power for both 3D printing and gaming.
It has 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB of space on its hard drive, so it has dependable memory that you can rely on.
What sticks out about the OMEN HP Obelisk is its great design you can customize for yourself. It’s fast, and you can also remove and put back the dust filter yourself.
However, while it is a great introduction to powerful desktops, it is expensive. Customers have complained that the internal wiring is messy, and there’s no card reader available.
If you want audio, then there are very basic audio functions. If you want a liquid cooling feature, you’ll have to upgrade it, and due to how useful it is, we feel that it should be one that was already included.
- High Performance — Due to having six i5 processors, the OMEN HP Obelisk won’t have any issues enduring high-performance work.
- Customizable — The OMEN HP Obelisk can be customized using the OMEN Command Center app, which can also be used to monitor your desktop’s performance.
- Memory — There is plenty of memory available, ensuring that you can run various programs without issue.
- Liquid Cooling — If you want liquid cooling functions, you will need to upgrade your desktop.
- Expensive — It’s an expensive set-up, so you need to consider the price when you start 3D printing.
- Audio — The OMEN HP Obelisk only has basic audio inputs and outputs.
The Lenovo ThinkCentre M70a is an all-in-one PC with six Intel Core i5 processors, and it has 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage space on the Hard Drive.
Overall, it can handle some games and videos, but this PC is perfect for anyone new to 3D printing. The processors and RAM ensure that it has the capabilities needed.
While it may not offer the same high-performance graphics for games, it is a solid choice for anyone who simply wants to use it for 3D printing.
While it does come with Windows 10, it can be upgraded to Windows 11. We’ve also found that it doesn’t have a cooling system.
Therefore it can only handle the most basic of models, which is all you need as a beginner.
- Memory — There is plenty of memory available for 3D printing projects, with 16 GB of RAM at your disposal.
- Performance — While it may not have as high a performance as other models, it has a solid enough system that allows you to print your projects easily.
- Storage — With 512 GB of storage, you have plenty of space to work on your projects.
- Expensive — Compared to other systems, it is pricier.
- Cooling System — There isn’t any liquid cooling system available.
The SkyTech Shiva has six AMD Ryzen 5 processors, 16 GB of RAM, and 1 TB of storage space on the hard drive. This guarantees a powerful processor with an impressive cooling system with excellent airflow.
Not only is it great for games, but it’s excellent for making the content too. It’s a budget-friendly system that works for a wide range of purposes.
However, despite the great specs, it’s essential that we keep in mind that the SkyTech Shiva is a budget-friendly system and, therefore, may have some issues.
Some users have pointed out that there have been issues with the memory.
Ideally, if you have an issue, we recommend purchasing it from SkyTech’s official site, as customers have had issues with customer support when purchasing their model through Amazon.
- Storage — The SkyTech Shiva desktop has 1 TB of storage space available on the hard drive.
- High Performance — It can handle high-performance programs.
- Cooling System — It has an impressive cooling system with plenty of airflow.
- Budget Friendly — It’s a budget-friendly system that will save you money.
- Memory — Customers have reported issues with memory on the device.
- Customer Support — There have been issues with customer support through Amazon.
To help you understand how these computers are best for 3D printing, we’ve compiled a list of features that we examined to understand our selection.
The most essential feature we included in the list was the specifications. So we looked at the number and type of processor, the amount of RAM, and the storage on the hard drive.
We considered how long the battery life would last, especially if you need to travel with the device.
Using a 3D printer takes a lot of time, so you need to consider if your laptop will last long enough to complete your project.
3D printing takes a lot of power, so you will need a decent cooling system with fans to ensure they don’t overheat. We’ve also considered the fans’ sound and if they’re too loud or have any other issues.
As a general rule, we need to consider the quality of the speakers as you may want to listen to music or watch videos while you work.
If this is a feature you require, we think it’s essential to include them in our judgment.
Some of these computers were intended as gaming PCs, so they were designed with high performance in mind.
However, we’re aware that for 3D printing, we don’t necessarily need a high-performance computer, so not all of these computers will have the same capabilities.
Size and weight are significant issues that can determine whether this PC is the right choice for you.
You need to ensure that there is plenty of space for your computer in your workspace and consider the weight if you need a laptop.
Knowing the size and weight can help you understand whether this is the right computer for you.
You’ll need to have storage space for any models you download and for any 3D printing software that you need to install.
Therefore, we have included those with the best storage and whether there’s enough to power your PC.
RAM is essential for your computer’s memory, so we’ve included the computers that can handle it.
However, we’ve also considered whether customers have reported any issues, so you can be prepared if anything goes wrong.
High-performance computers tend to be more expensive than the rest. However, some computers are designed for those who want the same performance at a lower cost.
We’ve included those designed for those who can spend more or those who are looking for a budget.
As mentioned earlier, some of these computers have been designed for gaming, while others may have been designed for office use.
Yet, some of these computers have been specifically designed for anyone interested in content creation.
Understanding the purpose of each computer can also help you find one that will also suit your other needs too.
Overall, one of the final options that can have an impact is customer support. Some customers have reported issues with how their problems have been handled, while others may not have those concerns.
With that in mind, if there are notable concerns, we felt it would be beneficial to mention this significant concern.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is 3D printing, And How Does It Work?
3D printing uses computer-aided designs to create 3D objects through layering methods.
When you 3D print an object, you layer materials such as plastics, composites, or other bio-materials to create an object that ranges in shape, size, and rigidity.
In many cases, you can 3D print an object by printing multiple objects together.
Is A 3D Printer Worth Having?
You’ll find that with a 3D printer, you can print almost anything at home for an affordable price.
These include replacement parts for any broken items you have in your house, and it’s a cheap way to make toys for your children.
Are 3D Printers Expensive?
3D printers use the same amount of electricity to run as a refrigerator. However, you also need to consider how often you’ll be using it and the size of each project.
What Is 3D Printing Mainly Used For?
3D printing is a great way to make models and prototypes quickly, but they can also be used to make final products.
You can make shoe designs, furniture, castings, tools, tripods, gifts, and toys. Overall, they’ve become more versatile over time.
What Material Is Used For 3D Printing?
Some of the most common materials are plastic, resin, metal, and paper. Powders are used in more modern printers, and each type of printer has its own standard to ensure that the project is printed correctly.
Can 3D Prints Break Easily?
As each 3D print is made from previous layers, you need to ensure that each layer is bonded to the one below it. If that doesn’t happen, the final print will fall apart and break, often by splitting from one another.
Can You Make Money In 3D Printing?
You could make money 3D printing, either by selling 3D printed items that you have designed, making digital goods, or offering a 3D printing service.
So long as you make your own design, you may be able to sell it. However, it’s always important to keep in mind copyright, so you shouldn’t sell someone else’s design.
3D printing doesn’t have to be an expensive hobby, but it requires a lot of research. If you want to get into 3D printing, it’s best to invest in the right computer to enjoy your hobby for a longer time.
If you’re interested in 3D printing, you should keep in mind the minimum specifications needed.
So long as a computer has at least four i5 Intel Core processors, 8 GB of RAM, and 512 GB of storage, it should be able to handle basic projects.